Samstag, 6. April 2013

...and everything collapses. - Colette

It's so curious: one can resist tears and 'behave' very well in the hardest hours of grief. But then someone makes you a friendly sign behind a window, or one notices that a flower that was in bud only yesterday has suddenly blossomed, or a letter slips from a drawer... and everything collapses.

Thinking about grief, I found today this quote by Colette. She expresses pretty well my actual condition...( I just miss my Mom so much).
And because I am very interested in visual arts (and not only literature), I started to think about the way how some Renaissance artists achieved to express this feeling of grief in their artworks. I would like to share with you some of these masterpieces, which during Renaissance were of course mostly inspired by religious themes. Grief or mourning was then often a theme in paintings or sculptures depicting the lamentation over the dead body of Christ. Looking at some of these artworks closely, I noticed details, which depict the different moments of grief: when you are speechless, when you have to cry out, when you feel paralyzed, when you feel that you are falling apart, when you are moved to tears....
I know that there are more enjoyable things to write about in a blog, but I think that death and grief are parts of our life.....And I remember a paper I had to write once about the depiction of death in Renaissance Art. This is why I came up today with this issue... In my sudden moments of grief I remembered some artworks which had impressed me deeply during my research.


Between these pictures you will find the details of two masterpieces, which represent in my opinion perfectly the two ways of grief as Colette described them: the moments when you cannot resist tears  and the moments when everything collapses totally silently in your heart....

Niccolo dell'Arca, Lamentation, Santa Maria della Vita, Bologna

Michelangelo Buonarotti, Pieta, Basilica of Saint Peter, Rome

I dedicate this post to all of you who have lost someone beloved, someone special to you....