Samstag, 13. Juli 2013

When I know your soul, I will paint your eyes. - Amedeo Modigliani

Today,  129 years ago,  one of my favourite painters and sculptors was born: Amedeo Modigliani or "Modi", as he was called by his friends....
During my short studies of Art History some years ago, I was intrigued by Modigliani as an outstanding artist and restless spirit in a period, when artists like Picasso, Kandinsky, Matisse, Duchamps and so many many others (the list is really gigantic!) tried to find new ways of artistic expression.
Living in Paris and working in such a spirit of optimism during the first decade of the 20th century, this early Avantgarde experienced a really radical and groundbreaking period, when every artist was searching for a replacement of 19th century's naturalism -  and they still inspire even our artists nowadays!
Among all these great painters and sculptors Modigliani fascinates me in particular, I don't know why. Maybe it is this sort of mystery which inheres some of his portraits with these disturbing, "void" eyes.... I love especially Modigliani's women's portraits, I really can't get enough of them...



So, it was quite a natural "necessity" to use his paintings in my work; from time to time I make a photoalbum, a box or a notebook with one of his portraits...today I made two giclee prints and turned them into notebooks....the colors are bright and correspond perfectly with the spines made of a special French bookbinding velvet:


Some years ago, a wonderful movie about Modigliani's last years in Paris was released, with (the
absolutely gorgeous!!!) Andy Garcia in the leading role. There is one scene in this - admittedly very "hollywoodian"-  movie which touched me in particular: When Jeanne Hebuterne, Modigliani's muse and love of his life, asked him, why he is never depicting her eyes, Modi answered:"When I know your soul, I will paint your eyes".

Ok, I admit it,  I am hopelessly romantic, I can cry my eyes out watching a touching movie.....and I love this movie!!!!